Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Stockings


I'll be spending Christmas with my family in California.  It's always so nice to be home and close to my family.  This Christmas will be extra special with the addition of my sweet little nephew.

My Mom always has stockings for each family member, so I decided that it would be fun to make a special one for little M.  As I was thinking about this, I realized that my poor sister-in-law never got a nice stocking, just one of the generic red & white ones from the grocery store.  I certainly couldn't make a stocking for my nephew and leave out his mommy!  So, I made two new stockings for my parents to add to their fireplace this year.

I searched on Pinterest for stocking patterns, and I came up with a winner with this one.


The tutorial given on Fabricworm is excellent.  It's very clear and easy to follow.  The most difficult part for me was choosing the fabrics!

I chose these darling penguins on a green background for my nephew.  They sure are cute and I hope that he likes them!


I also bought some faux fur for the cuff.  It looks great on the stocking, but it was very messy and not the easiest material to work with.  I don't know that I would use it for another sewing project again.


I chose a red fabric with white dots to line the stocking.  It looks much more vibrant in person.


For my SIL, I found this really pretty Christmas candy print.  I think it's really whimsical, without being too childish.  


For the cuff of this stocking, I went with a softer and more delicate fabric.  This fabric is velvety soft and has pretty little dots.  Ironically, it is the same type of fabric on my nephew's changing table (I didn't know this when I bought it)!  


I love the light green and white dotted lining fabric.  It complements with the green accents on the candy pattern.


These stockings were relatively simple to make.  In fact, I completed this project in just a couple of hours.



I snapped these pictures when I was home for Thanksgiving.  Unfortunately, the rest of the Christmas stockings were still up in the attic, so I wasn't able to get a picture of the entire fireplace filled with family stockings.  But I think that these two will fit in nicely and be the perfect place for Santa to leave some goodies.


Cheers!
Jenn







1 comment:

  1. You did a great job! Love the cute red and white Christmas tree fabric. :) Visiting from Centsational Girl...hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi too. :)

    ReplyDelete