Thursday, September 29, 2011

Spooky Door Decor


I finally took my patriotic wreath off my front door a few weeks ago, and it has been bare (gasp!) until now.  I had big plans for a Fall wreath idea that haven't quite materialized yet.  Since there are just a few days left in September, I figured that I could get away with putting up a Halloween wreath now, and buy myself another month to work on my other idea!  

This wreath was so easy to put together, although it was a bit time-consuming.  The materials I used were a straw wreath form (left in the plastic), some Lion Brand Fun Fur in black, a thick, black satin ribbon, and these cute little spiders and bats that I found at Hobby Lobby.


I started off with a coat of black spray paint on the wreath form.  This helped to conceal any missed spots with the Fun Fur.  It actually looked like it was wrapped in a black garbage bag!  To affix the Fun Fur, I wrapped and wrapped and wrapped and wrapped and wrapped...

You get the picture.  I'm not going to lie; using the Fun Fur turned out to be a bit hairy (pun intended).  It tangles very easily.  If you are planning to do a project with Fun Fur or a similar type of yarn, I highly recommend wrapping it around something to keep it from tangling.  I used a small piece of cardboard, about 1 1/2 x 6 inches, using it as a paddle.  This really made the tedious chore of wrapping the yarn around the wreath form go much more smoothly.


I ended up using a little over 2 skeins of the Fun Fur to completely cover the wreath.  If I were to do this again, I would probably wrap the yarn a little tighter, as I had plenty of yarn left over.

Once the wreath was completely covered, I was so pleased with how it turned out.  In fact, I considered hanging it on my door right then.  But my little Halloween creatures were too cute to leave behind.  I wrapped the satin ribbon around the top and tied the bow when I attached it to my door.  For the creatures, I trimmed the wires they were attached to, bent them and stuck them into the wreath at various places.  Easy peasy.


I just love the finished product.


The little creatures are so whimsical and cute.


I think that my new Halloween wreath will be very welcoming to all of the cute little ghouls and goblins who come around on October 31st.  


Cheers!
Jenn






5 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! And really classy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun idea! So creative too...love it!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest wreath! I saw those spider picks at Hobby Lobby and didn't buy any. I will have to go back now! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your wreath how fun to greet your guest with a bit of fright come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete