Friday, April 29, 2011

Baby Blankets

My family has been blessed in the past year to welcome 2 very special babies.  Consequently, I have been busy knitting baby blankets!  I ventured out from hats and scarves in September to make my first baby blanket ever, and I even created my own pattern!  This blanket was made for my cousin's baby, a really sweet little boy with the cutest smile.


Since I knew this baby's name ahead of time, I was able to create a pattern with his first initial, A.


This blanket was very simple and I was able to finish it in a little over a week.  When choosing a yarn, I wanted something that was really soft but also easy to take care, a.k.a., machine washable and can go in the dryer.  The yarn I ended up using was Red Heart Soft Baby Steps, Baby Blue.  I tend to use a lot of wool and wool blends when making adult hats, but for a baby, it's really important to use something that is easy to care for, and this yarn is 100% acrylic.


When I knit this blanket, I used straight needles, but I would definitely use a circular needle next time.  The second blanket I knit, I used a circular needle and it made a huge difference, especially as the blanket got longer and heavier!  I have linked the instructions and pattern if you would like to make this blanket.

During the past few months, I spent a lot of time knitting a blanket for my new nephew.  Of course my brother and sister-in-law didn't have a name picked out ahead of time, so I couldn't make another initial blanket.  After searching through many patterns, I finally decided on this one from Bernat.

This is the blanket I knit on the circular needle.  The pattern was a lot more involved and called for smaller needles, so it took a lot longer for me to complete this one!  I highly recommend a stitch counter to keep track of the pattern.  I love how it came out, although I forgot to take pictures of the finished product.  Fortunately, these pictures (from my phone!) really show the pattern.  I used Plymouth Yarn Encore, Col. 1201.  This yarn is 25% wool and 75% acrylic and is also machine washable and tumble dry.


I really enjoyed making these snuggly little blankets for my baby cousin and nephew.  I am looking forward to starting some new knitting projects over the summer.

Cheers!
Jenn

3 comments:

  1. The monogram blanket is gorgeous! What a treasure! You have quite a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim! I am so honored that the first comment on my blog is from one of my favorite bloggers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful information shared..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.I have Bookmark this webpage,I am sure I will visit this place again soon.Thanks for sharing.
    baby blanket

    ReplyDelete